5388 - 5863 FINE ARTS - GRAPHIC ART, 16th-19th CENTURY
- Some foxing.
= Tipped onto mount, together with (recto and verso of mount, in a multi-layered fashion) 16 other (cut-out) (sm.) prints, incl. portraits (i.a. stadtholder Willem V), vignettes, coats of arms etc. The whole privately (contemp.?) assembled.
- First print w. paper strip along left edge on verso (from former tipping on); 2nd print w. chip in margin, just outside the platemark.
= Hollstein 1 (1st state of 2) and 4 (2nd state of 2).
- Tipped onto mount; trimmed just outside the platemark; a few specks.
= Bartsch 75; Hollstein/ Pauli 77, 2nd or 3rd state (of 3).
- Trimmed to/ into the borders. = Not traced in De Vesme.
Sowerby, J. (1756-1822). (Carnation). Contemp. handcol. engr. after S. EDWARDS, 18,5x11 cm., numb. "No. 39" in top margin, framed.
- Trifle yellowed/ foxed. = Attractive print.
Ostade, A. van (1610-1685). Peasant with his hands behind his back. Etching, ±1640, 8,4x5,8 cm.
- Cut sl. short; sl. foxed and yellowed.
= Hollstein and Godefroy 21, prob. the 5th state (of 6), from the Picart edition, just before 1700.
AND 1 other: E. VAN DE VELDE, Five persons gathered round a table on a terrace (etching, framed. Hollstein copies b).
- Trifle yellowed. Otherwise fine and with broad margins.
= De Vesme 835. With collector's mark of P.H. Lankrink (L2090) in lower left corner below image.
- A few sm. stains in upper margin. = Wurzbach 5. Proof before letters.
AND 20 other etchings, engravings and a few lithographs by the same, i.a. from the series of horses and the French troops in the Netherlands after D. LANGENDIJK.
= Hollstein 29-34, (prob.) the sixth state (of 6).
AND 1 other by the same.
- Closed tear in upper right corner. Otherwise fine. = Hollstein 29-34, the 4th state (of 6).
- Fine. = Hollstein 49-56, the sixth state (of 7).
- Upper margin sl. cut short, w. tiny loss of image in the clouds; a few sm. grease/ brown stains; a dark and strong impression.
= Hollstein 1, the 4th state (of 5). With the collector's stamp of Pictura Groningen (Lugt 2028).
AND 1 other small etching by the same (Hollstein 45, 7th state of 8).
- All etchings sl. foxed. = Hollstein 23-26, the 3rd and final state.
= Hollstein 6, 4th state (of 5).
AND 2 others after the same by J. DE VISSCHER (Hollstein 60 and 102).
- Margins (clumsily) extended.
= LeBlanc 166-2(2)
- Sl. browned; blank margins sl. foxed/ dustsoiled. = Delteil 159.
AND 9 others, all bookillustrations, i.a. by A. BROUET, F. BRANGWYN and F. BRACQUEMOND.
- Occas. sl. foxed/ dampstained.
= Nice series with scenes from the Old and New Testament.
- Blank margins some defects and surface dam. (silverfish).
Schmidt, J.J.A. (18th cent.). (Wooded landscape with two travellers and a waterfall). Etching, 35x46 cm.
- Vague foxing. = Proof before letters.
AND 6 other prints, 18/ 19th cent., i.a. after L.C. DE GARMONTELLE, "La Malheureuse famille Calas (...)" (1765) and CYPRIANI after PICET, "Apollon et les Muses".
- Yellowed; tape remnants on verso along margins.
- All good impressions cut to/ just outside the borderline; some foxing, "Rusticula minor" sl. worse; "Moneduta" and "Rusticula minor" chipped in lower blank margin; "Querquedula" w. vertical fold, not visible on recto.
= Bartsch 5 and 11; Wurzbach: "Seine besten Blätter sind Vögel und Fische".
- Horizontal print w. sm. tear in lower part; all trimmed to the borderline. = Le Blanc 1, 2, 4, 5.
- Sm. rubbed spot in image; (vague) crease in lower right corner, sl. affecting image. Tape in outer margins on verso.
= An 18th cent. impression. Hollstein 274.
- Traces of rectangular framing line in blue pen in margins (touching the borderline), otherwise fine.
= Good impression on 17th cent. paper w. unidentified watermark. Hollstein 8, only listing a state without address. Cf. Hollstein 7, listing a similar circular print with a second and final state by Mariette.
Perelle, G. (1604-1677). Paysages ornés de ruines et d'édifices antiques. Two engravings (of 6) from the series, 10x21 cm., "Perelle In et fecit" and "le Blond avec privilège" engr. below the image.
- One print w. vague fold in lower corner; the other sl. foxed. = From the series Le Blanc 71-76.