6163 - 6266 FINE ARTS - FOREIGN TOPOGRAPHY. MAPS, PLANS and VIEWS
- Part of upper edge and lower edge strengthened with sellotape on verso; clean cut and sm. hole in left part; trifle yellowed.
= SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE CXXXV.
- Blank upper vertical and top margins sl. waterst.
- Restored spot on flattened middle fold; upper blank margin vaguely waterstained; image w. a few sm. stains.
= Van der Krogt/ Koeman I, 7130:1.1. From a German edition. Nicely shows Mantua situated in the middle of three artificial lakes, created in the 12th century as the city's defence system.
- Lower outer corner w. crease and sm. closed tear. = SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE CXXIX.
- Sl. foxed; partly sl. browned.
- Sl. yellowed; sl. (dust)soiled/ yellowed and foxed in blank margins.
AND 1 other similar by the same: "Tabula Italiae Antiquae (...)", publ. by the same, in similar condition.
- A few sm. tears in blank margins and false creases along central fold. Otherwise fine.
= Attractive map, showing i.a. the dominions along the Adriatic coast of the Kingdom of Venice. Van der Krogt/ Koeman Koeman III, 182 (184).
- Flattened folds; trifle yellowed and sl. dustsoiled/ vaguely foxed; a few sm. tears in outer blank margins.
= Splendid plan, based on the 16th century plan published by Braun and Hogenberg. Van der Krogt/ Koeman IV-2/2, 3636. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE CXXXVI.
- Sold as collection of prints, not subject to return.
= Plates 1-23, 97, 98 and 100. Hollstein XXV, 1497-1596; Wurzbach II, Schenk 313 (p.576); Nagler XVII, Schenk 177 (p.157); Kissner coll. 417 (ed. 1700). A rare collection of views, with captions in Latin and Dutch. Schenk considered it one of his major works (eventhough he did not engrave all the prints himself).
- Vertical central fold; minor imperfections. All in all a fine map.
= Walter, Japan A Cartographic Vision, 80. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE CXXXVII.
= Nice prints, i.a. "Continent Meridional Austral ou Antarctique", "Labyrinthe", "Zemblien", "Turc", "Isle de Stalimene", "See de Rugen", "Corse", "Bergen", "S. Salvador", "P. de Zanguebar", "Egyptiens" and "Italiens". For the work itself cf. Borba de Moraes p.511 ("a magnificently printed book of geography").
- Middle fold strengthened on verso; false fold (or paper flaw) parallel to middle fold. Fine copy.
= Very decorative map. Van der Krogt/ Koeman IIIB, 9510. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE CXXXVII.
- Partly waterstained; most w. vertical fold.
= Very decorative map, newly added by Hondius, with the Canaries and an inset map of the island of Penon de Veles. Van Der Krogt/ Koeman I, 8615:1A.
- Small tear on lower end central fold; otherwise fine.
= Most probably from an English edition: Koeman IV, Don 17 (3). Shows the North Sea in its entirety, with the coasts of England, Scotland, the Netherlands, Germany, Denmark, Sweden and Norway.
- Lower right corner torn (repaired); creases in text in right margin; browned in text in both margins; a few sm. holes/ sm. tears in text in upper margin; 2 small holes in left foot of clock in lower margin.
= Interesting engraving of a clock designed by Zacharias Landteck, which shows the northern hemisphere seen from above the North-Pole and illustrates the manner in which sunlight falls on the earth.