5157 - 5451 FINE ARTS - 16th-19th CENTURY DRAWINGS, WATERCOLOURS and PAINTINGS
- Some minor chipping in left margin; vague traces in margins of former passepartout. Otherwise fine.
= SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE XC.
- Laid down on mount. Diagonal cuts in blank margins (repaired); some foxing/ mouldy spots; loss of paper, mainly in lower margin (just touching the feet).
= With attribution to Girolamo Muziano (1528-1592) on mount. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE XCI.
- Laid down on mount; old vertical fold; surface dam. in centre of upper blank margin.
= With contribution to Titian on verso and on mount. In the style of Domenico Campagnola (but the figures in this drawing are more sketchy). SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE XCII.
- Laid down on mount. Formerly cut on folds; small closed tears (i.a. in right margin); lacks thin strip of right margin (max. 3 mm); trifle foxed.
= Provenance: Charles Morin (with his collector's mark in lower left corner (Lugt 597)) and via Paul Brandt to the present owner. With 2 mounted tickets on verso, one in manuscript w. attribution (on the authority of Alfred Wurzbach) to Geerten Geertgen tot Sint Jans (±1465 -±1495) (also known as Geertgen van Haarlem) and one clipping from the exhibition catalogue Nederlandse tekeningen der zestiende en zeventiende eeuw. Catalogus van een keuze uit de collectie Paul Brandt (Utr., Centraal Mus., 1963, no. 47, the catalogue number under which this drawing was listed and exhibited). With (unidentified) prob. 16th cent. watermark. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE XCII.
- Restored copy, especially in corners and lower margin (w. loss of image). Old creases/ sl. worn.
= Study of the Ara Pacis in Rome, showing priests from the entourage of emperor August. Beautiful drawing on laid paper w. stylized 5 pointed crown watermark topped by a 6-pointed star. Compare Woodward 264 (Venice, ±1580). SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE XCIII.
- Laid down; soiled w. a translucent brownish stain in centre and lower right.
= Annotations: "Un palmo é.5.onse" and "il portello un palmo é un onsa" and "un palm". From the collection of Lodewijk Houthakker, with his collector's mark on recto (Lugt 3893) and on verso of the passepartout (Lugt 4533). Fuhring, Design into art, no.741. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE XCIII.
- Folded several times; various (closed) tears, mostly on the folds; lacks portion of lower right corner and larger chip near central fold in right edge; lower right section reattached.
= From the collection of Nicos Dhikeos with his collector's mark (Lugt 3529) near lower edge. Paper sheet bears a watermark showing a cross above a triple hill or mountain within a shield. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE XCII.
- Lacks large part of upper right blank corner; doubled.
= Small part of a fresque of Saint Marc in Bassilica di Sant d'Andrea della Valle, Rome. With attribution to Domenico Zampieri (1581-1641) on passepartout. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE XCIV.
- Margins cut short. Laid down on mount; old middle-fold.
= With collector's mark "J.D." in lower right corner (Lugt 1436: "marque non identifiée").
- Some tiny holes. Verso margins mounted on passepartout and w. traces of former mounting (gluestains).
= Attrib. to Il Bergamasco (±1509-1569) on verso. With collector's mark of F. de Wit on mount (not in Lugt). SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE XCIV.
- Remargined with later paper.
= Fragment of a larger drawing. On laid paper with a watermark showing a small waterbird with a six pointed star above. Probably Italian school.
- Doubled; old middle-fold; some small womrholes and closed tears, a strip in right margin (1,7 cm.) cut-off and reattached.
= Nice, sl. naive drawing. With on verso a doubtful attribution to Lucas van Valckenborch (±1535-1597).
- Laid down. = With old attribution to M. DE VOS in pen on mount.
- Leaf soiled and stained; laid down. = Probably Dutch school.
- Laid down on mount.
- Large closed tear near right edge.
= From the collection of Dr. Friedhelm Beuker (1932-2012) with his blindstamped collector's mark (not in Lugt). With a fragment of a Dutch 17th century manuscript text on verso. This drawing was shown at the exhibition of drawings in the Goethe Museum Düsseldorf, organized by Beukers.
- Upper margin laid down on mount; old ticket ("60") in lower blank right corner.
- Doubled. Old flattened folds; some foxing.
Anonymous (17th cent.). (Designs for jewelry). Eleven drawings on 1 leaf, 14,2x25 cm. (total size), pen and brown ink, some brown wash.
- Doubled; flattened folds and closed tears.
= Both drawings from the collection of Lodewijk Houthakker, w. his collector's stamp in lower right corner (Lugt 3893).
- Some foxing and dustoiling; sl. frayed and lacking some small portions in blank margins (especially in left margin). (Formerly) tipped onto mount.
= With attribution to I. Hondt (17th cent.) on mount. With the collector's mark of J.C. Witt on mount (Lugt 646a). SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE XCIV.