2390 - 2685 BOTANY, GARDENS AND GARDENING, HUSBANDRY - The Collection of Jan Meemelink
- Both vols. sm. bookplate on upper pastedown; plates sl. foxed. Bindings sl. rubbed along extremities.
= Nissen, BBI 899.
Idem. Das Buch Der Welt. Stuttgart, Hoffmannsche Verlag-Buchhandlung, 1854, 380p., 43 (of 48) (col.) lithogr. plates, woodcut textills., contemp. clothbacked boards, 4to.[*]
- Lacks title-p. and first 7 texpages; lacks 5 plates, contains 33 of 36 col. and 10 of 12 tinted plates; foxed throughout; many tears and some repaired w. tape. Sold w.a.f.
- Trifle soiled; hinges strengthened w. paper; a few lvs. w. sm. tear in lower margin. Covers sl. soiled; rubbed along extremities.
= Nissen, BBI 900; Stafleu-C 2875.
- Trifle foxed; bookplate and owner's entry on pastedown. Binding sl. soiled.
- A (very) fine copy. Occas. trifle foxed/ thumbed in blank margins.
= The first edition of this beautiful flower book with striking chromolithographed plates. Landwehr, Dutch Books w. Col. Plates 81 (calling for 41 plates, but practically all copies come with 40 plates); Nissen, BBI 931; Rouffaer/Muller, first Supplement, p.87; Stafleu/ Cowan 3025; Library of the Stiftung fur Botanik 363. A splendid work on Java's flora with beautiful plates, belying Hoola van Nooten's words in the English-language introduction: "This work is particularly addressed to women. Its object, its tendency, its entiry scope, all marks it with the special seal of our sex, whose mission and position are admirably described by one of the great writers of the present day, in those words at once so simple and so profound: "Charity in humility". Nor do I consider, that, by the present publication, I am overstepping the boundaries of that sphere. (...)". SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE CX.
- A few plates and textleaves at the end of vol.2 sl. dented in blank margin; occas. sl. foxed/ sl. yellowed.
= All published. Not in Nissen. The first Belgian horticultural periodical, remarkable for its beautiful plates. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE CX.
- Lacks 2 plates; only 3 of 23 vols.; contents (sl.) foxed, also affecting the plates; hinges widening. Covers. sl. rubbed.
= Nissen, BBI 2254; Pritzel 5203; Plesch 445.
- Plates and surrounding text lvs. partly sl./ trifle foxed, otherwise contents fine. Extremities of bindings, mostly outer corners, w. rubbed spots. All in all, a fine set.
= Very rare. Although presented as a new edition of the second part of the Natuurlijke historie, this can be seen as a separate botanical work. Cf. Nissen, BBI 940 (mentioning Sepp as publisher). SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE CX.
- Contents w. minor imperfections. Boardedges rubbed/ worn. A fine and desirable copy.
= With the supplement leaves and the 6 extra plates loosely inserted. Exceptional publication of a xylotheque on paper. This publication was started in Germany with the plates after the xylotheque of the Electoral Collection in Dresden. It was expanded with plates showing the xylotheque of exotic woodspecies of mr. Hazeu and the collection of the author. Nissen, BBI 939; Landwehr, Books with Colour Plates 84. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE CXI.
= Rare. Not in Springer.
- First free endpaper partly torn out. Binding sl. chafed.
= Bierens de Haan 2258; DSB, p.11ff: "Ingen-Housz is most widely known for his discovery of photosynthesis. (...) the book in which Ingen-Housz reported his results, Experiments Upon Vegetables, advanced the understanding of the phenomenon considerably. He established that only the green parts of a plant can "restore" the air, that they do this only when illuminated by sunlight, ant that the active part of the sun's rediation is in the visible light and not in the heat radiation. In addition he found that platns, like animals, exhibit respiration, that respiration continues day and night, and that all parts of the plant - green as well as non green, flowers and fruit as well as roots - take part in the process".
- Textpages and plates partly sl. soiled in margins; two libr. stamps on title-p.; bookplate on verso title-p. and on upper pastedown.
= Nissen, BBI 670a; Hunt 572; Pritzel I-360.
- Text lvs. (sl.) foxed.
= Rare gardening almanac for the year 1820 with delicate handcoloured plates. Not in Grand-Carteret.
- A few scattered foxed specks; htitle foxed; owner's entry on title-p. and htitle. Binding sl. worn along extremities and cover sl. foxed.
= Nissen, BBI 992; not in Pritzel. Rare. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE CXI.
- Occas. browned (more in first vols.); two vols. w. a few lvs. nibbled by silverfish. Boardedges bindings rubbed.
- A few brown (marginal) stains, mostly on the first and final lvs.
= Very rare first edition of this treatise on bulbs. A German translation was published in 1764. Warranted by the authors, florists in Haarlem: ''Les auteurs de cet ouvrage désavoüent tous les Exemplaires qui ne seront pas signés de leur propre Main''. Cat. Krelage sale 172; not in Nissen, Pritzel.
- A few sl. rubbed spots on binding. Otherwise fine.
= Nissen, BBI 1031. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE CXI.
- Owner's dedication on first free endpaper; (severely) foxed. Covers trifle soiled; rubbed at lower boardedges.
- Partly fingersoiled in margins and lower corner; occas. (sl.) foxed; some plates soiled in margins; final 40p. sl. waterstained (also affecting the (sl. creased) final plate); pastedowns soiled.
= Oldenburger-Ebbers/ Stehouwer, Bibliografie 18de eeuwse Ned. boeken tuinarchitectuur, p.8: "Knoop dankt zijn reputatie voornamelijk aan de vele publikaties over de cultuur van gewassen. Zijn Beschouwende en werkdadige Hovenier-konst valt enigszins buiten deze reeks. Behalve dat het boek handelt over het kweken van bloemen en planten, komen ook de vormgevende aspecten van een tuinontwerp aan bod. Zijn aanbevelingen leveren Baroktuinen op." A very useful and instructive garden manual. One of the rarest Knoop publications. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE CXI.
- Lacks 2 preliminary lvs.; approx. 40 lvs. sl. foxed, not affecting plates; endpapers stained. Backcover sl. soiled; spine-ends sl. bumped and top of backstrip partly loose(ning).
= Oldenburger-Ebbers/ Stehouwer, Bibliografie 18de eeuwse Ned. boeken tuinarchitectuur, p.8: "Knoop dankt zijn reputatie voornamelijk aan de vele publikaties over de cultuur van gewassen. Zijn Beschouwende en werkdadige Hovenier-konst valt enigszins buiten deze reeks. Behalve dat het boek handelt over het kweken van bloemen en planten, komen ook de vormgevende aspecten van een tuinontwerp aan bod. Zijn aanbevelingen leveren Baroktuinen op." A very useful and instructive garden manual. One of the rarest Knoop publications.