2057 - 2238 NATURAL HISTORY, MEDICINE, SCIENCE, TRANSPORT, TECHNOLOGY
- Uncut copy; sm. library and cancellation stamp on recto frontisp. and first free endpaper; sm. tear in title-p. Paper over spine worn off; sm. paper ticket on frontwr.
= Ferguson IV, p.35; Duveen p.9 (ed. 1758); cf. Caillet 131 (ed. 1721). Curious work dealing with medicine, astrology and the benefits of certain herbs, animals and gemstones to the human body.
- Uncut copy; sm. library stamp on recto frontisp. and first free endpaper; inner margin partly sl. waterstained. Wr. partly dam.; paper over spine partly worn off; sm. paper ticket on frontwr.
= Ferguson IV, p.35; Duveen p.9 (ed. 1745); Caillet 137. Also known the Petit Albert.
- From the library of Benjamin Schmolck (1672-1737, Lutheran composer of hymns) with his owner's entry on title-p. and vaguely in lower margin of frontisp. and a few annots. in his hand; several other owner's entries/ library stamps on upper endpaper and (verso) title-p.; wormholed from p.165 onwards (just touching text); frontisp. cut trifle short; preliminary leaves sl. dampstained in margins; some underlining in text. Binding rubbed/ sl. worn along extremities; foot of spine dam.
= Rare study on the origin of letters and alphabets. By comparing known written ancient and modern alphabets with each other, Bang tries to show similarities between languages that point to one primeval source from which all languages stem. Caillet 687; Ferguson, Bibl. Chemica I, p.69. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE XCVII.
= Facs. reprint of the edition 1927-1942.
- Lacks p.155-158. = Landwehr, Romeyn de Hooghe as Book Illustrator, 56. Rare.
- Wrappers soiled and chipped; backstrips dam. and pasted over w. sellotape. = Rare.
(Hoogendorp, J.). De geheimen der magnétiseurs en somnambules ontmaskerd voor weldenkende en deugdgezinde menschen. Naar het Fransch. N.pl., n.publ. (Dordr., A. Blussé & Zoon), 1816, 88p., contemp. plain wr.
- Backstrip worn/ dam. = Not in Crabtree; BMN I, p.153.
AND 2 others, i.a. H. FISCHER, Aardstralen en De Wichelroede. Een stuk beschavingsgeschiedenis (The Hague, 1938, ills., orig. cl.).
- Owner´s stamp on htitle; title-p. sl. waterstained. Covers rubbed along extremities. = BMN I, p.361. Rare.
- Occas. sl. yellowed and foxed.
= Large paper copy of the rare folio edition. Ray 20; cf. Cohen-De Ricci p.606; Garrison-Morton 154. "(...) The best realization of this aim ["to render the most dramatic episodes of Shakespeare in the pictorial language of Michaelangelo"] among Fuseli's illustrations is to be found, not in the Boydell Shakespeare, but in Lavater's Essays on Physiognomy. Lavater remarks of his friend and fellow countryman: "Spectres, Demons, and madmen; fantoms, exterminating angels; murders and acts of violence - such are his favourite objects". (...) Fuseli's drawings are rendered with unusual distinction in the engravings of T. Holloway (...)." (Ray). SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE XCVII.
- Lacks vol. 4. Vol. 3 lacks plate 13. All vols. bookplate on upper pastedown and wormholed. Bindings worn; vol. 1 letterpiece dam.; vol. 2 letterpiece cracked.
= Goedeke IV, 1, p.264; Schulte-Strathaus 77c; Kippenberg I, 581; BMN II, p.39. The very charming decoration for this work, vignettes and larger and smaller plates and illustrations, was newly executed by J.R. Schellenberg, R. Brichtet, J. Hegi, J. Heidegger and others. The text was selected by Lavater himself from parts of his monumental first German edition (Leipsic, 1775), revised under his supervision and translated into Dutch by Joh. W. van der Haar.
- Libr. stamps on title-p.; occas. sl. foxed. Backstrip professionally restored with use of orig. backstrip.
= Cf. Philip P060.1; Kat. Orn. Berlin 3302. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE XCVII.
- Htitle sl. creased and sl. worn; new endpapers. Rebacked.
= Nice plates of various means of transport through the ages.
- Vol. 3 and 4 sl. foxed.
= First vol. with presentation leaf to the "Concordia Crescimus", a Portuguese-Isrealite literary society, dated 1812.
- Backstrip sl. worn; corners bumped.
- A few leaves sl. yellowed; upper joint professionally and almost invisibly restored. A very fine copy.
= Cat. NHSM p.747; Poggendorf I, p.254; DSB II, p.343-344; Norman Library 284: "The first treatise on naval architecture written on a scientific basis. Bouguer was among the first to investigate mathematical principles in relation to shipbuilding, and to devise methods for calculating displacement and stability. The work was very useful to the naval services of the time, and was widely studied, translated and adapted (...)".
- Occas. trifle foxed. Rebacked.
- Bookplate on upper pastedown. Sm. stains on frontcover.
AND 6 others, i.a. F.S. KRAUSS, Die Anmut des Frauenleibes (Berlin etc., 1923, ills., orig. cl., 4to); C.H. STRATZ, De schoonheid der vrouw bij verschillende rassen (Amst., 1902, double-p. col. lithogr. map, num. ills., orig. cl.); E. GLÄSMER and R. AMERSBACH, Die weibliche Brust. Die Erhaltung ihrer Gesundheit und Formschönheit (Stuttg., 1929, ills., orig. cl. w. dustwr.) and K. MICHAELIS, Das Antlitz des Kindes (Berlin, 1931, plates, orig. cl.).
- Lacks the pasted slip on a1 verso and the cancel woodcut pasted to page 72; partly waterstained in margins; a few lvs. w. tear in margin (occas. into text); title-p. partly doubled and w. closed tear; a few lvs. mounted on new stubs and w. sl. dam. blank inner margin; sm. libr. stamp (Bibliotheca Sancti Pauli Oosterholt) on title-p. and on verso final text leaf; bookplates on upper pastedown (F.C.G. Comte de Kuijpers seignr. de Rijmenam and le Vicomte Obert de Thieusies); owner's entries on first free endpaper (illegible and/ or crossed out), on title-p. (J.P. Allard (dated 1867)) and on final pastedown (François Joseph Duraij). Upper hinge splitting; vellum creased and with some small stains; lacks ties.
= Houzeau/ Lancaster I/2, 11432; Macclesfield Sale lot 498. Rare work and despite the defects an interesting work on sundials. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE XCVIII.
- Gilt on spine dulled; corners trifle worn. Otherwise fine.
= Poggendorff II, 399f; Houzeau/ Lancaster I, 11614; Kat. Orn. Berl. 1755; Tardy 193. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE XCVIII.
- Bookplate on upper pastedown; a few samples trifle worn. = Very rich sample album.