2057 - 2238 NATURAL HISTORY, MEDICINE, SCIENCE, TRANSPORT, TECHNOLOGY
- Fine copy, with only occasional sl. foxing. Bindings trifle rubbed along extremities.
= Nissen, FB 78; Nissen, ZBI 2009. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE LXXXVIII.
- Binding sl. worn. A fine copy.
= Poggendorf I, p.734; DSB IV, p.565: "A skilled designer of clocks and planispheres (as well as a "solar eclipsareon"), he [Ferguson] became an accomplished lecturer and expounder of Newtonian ideas, especially after the publication of his Astronomy Explained Upon Sir Isaac Newton's Principles (1756), which went through seventeen editions." Most of the plates show astronomical instruments.
- Contemp. owner's entry on verso title-p.; partly sl. waterstained in lower and outer blank margins, plates clean. Paper over spine partly worn off.
= Bierens de Haan 2521; Houzeau & Lancaster 11656. First edition of an important work on spherical sundials by the Dutch mathematician Johann Hermann Knoop (1700-1769). It describes how to measure and construct different types of sundials, including one inside a hollow half sphere, and a "gnomic" armillary sphere. Rare.
- Corners sl. rubbed. Otherwise a very fine copy.
= Rare edition of this work, first published Nürnberg, 1743. A work written "zum Unterricht der studierenden Jugend" and nicely illustrated. Not in Houzeau/ Lancaster; cf. Dünnhaupt 1638, 26. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE LXXXVIII.
- Lacks 1 fold. plate; first few leaves trifle waterstained; fold. plates sl. frayed; one fold. plate cut sl. short.
= Houzeau/ Lancaster 9732 (dating 1695).
- Text vol. bookblock broken; atlas bookblock loose and sl. foxed; 1 plate loose. Both vols. binding trifle worn, mostly on backstrips; backstrip atlas vol. loose(ning).
- Both vols. w. bookplate on upper pastedown. Letterpieces sl. worn. Despite defects fine, clean copies.
= John Muir (1838-1914) was an influential Scottish-American naturalist and is well known as an early advocate for the preservation of the American wilderness.
John of the Mountains. The Unpublished Journals of John Muir. Ed. L Marsh Wolfe. Ibid., idem, 1938, XX,(2),459p., frontisp. portrait, 8 plates, orig. dec. cl. w. dustwr.
- Upper joint weak; backstrip worn; corners showing. Internally fine.
= With a tipped-in facsimile letter to Caproni Guasti from the president of the Reale Accademia d'Italia. One of 500 copies, of which only 100 were for sale. A major study of early Italian aeronautics from the Renaissance well into the 19th century.
- Trifle foxed. Backstrip loose(ning); frontcover, top of spine and first 3 lvs. sl. nibbled by silverfish.
= With AUTOGRAPH SIGNED DEDICATION "Alla signora Mantica Barzini con affettuose amicizie Timinia Caproni Guasti", dated december 1931. One of 100 copies for sale for the benefit of the Museo Caproni. A rich bibliographical and iconographical source for this first aeronaut fly in a balloon in England.
- Title-p. trifle foxed. Otherwise a fine copy.
= DSB I, p.203-204. J.H. Blumenbach (1752-1840) was the founder of scientific anthropology (i.a. based on comparative anatomy and geology). "Blumenbach was one of the earliest thinkers to recognize the "historicalness" of nature, and therefore occupies an important place in the history of evolution theory." (DSB).
- Covers w. a few rubbed spots. = Plates numb. I-XVII and XIX-XXXI as usual.
- (Sl.) foxed throughout; 4th text vol. w. some waterstains; 2nd plate vol. hinges widening. A few vols. covers sl. soiled.
= The first collected Belgian edition. Nissen, ZBI 689 (calls for 733 plates, w. a slightly diff. collation). Attractively bound set. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE LXXXVII.
- Fine copy.
= Attractively designed brochure for the following models: the Cabourg, the Côte d'Azur, the Biarritz, the Monte Carlo, the Vichy, the Chantilly and the Modane.
AND 1 other: a brochure for L. ROSENGART (The Hague, n.d. (±1937), 8 full-p. ills., entirely printed in aubergine, orig. wr., obl. 8vo. Vague pencil annot. on frontwr.). - AND 2 other incomplete brochures, i.a. a brochure for ROLLS ROYCE/ BENTLEY (±1938, 2 parts in 1 vol., col. ills., obl. 8vo. Lacks wr.; pencil annot. on first leaf). - ADDED: 2 odd pre-World War II issues of two different periodicals on cars, i.a. BTW BLÄTTER. Heft 24. November 1935 (Berlin, 1935, ills., orig. wr., 4to)
- First page w. company stamp "W. van Zijll's Autobedrijf N.V. (...) Arnhem". Spine sl. rubbed; a few creases in frontwr.
= Shows 20 models from the series 90, 80, 60 and 40, incl. interior views, and with several ills. of car parts. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE LXXXIX.
AND 2 others, i.a. an attractive fold. brochure for CHRYSLER 1939 (Detroit, 1939, col. brochure, 1 leaf folded twice (as published), 4to-size. A few sl. rubbed spots).
- Stamp of "Firma Rosier (...) Leeuwarden" on verso of frontwr.
AND 6 others, incl. 4 (fold.) brochures, all Dutch language: 2x for Ford Trucks (1938 and 1940), Renault trucks (1939) and Chevrolet ((1939); partly sl. split(ting) on folds).
- First two leaves split at lower end of spine; a few vague creases in frontwr. Otherwise fine.
= Dutch language edition, issued for N.V. Engelbert's Automobielhandel, The Hague/ Amsterdam.
De nieuwe Hudson voor 1938. Detroit, Hudson Motor Comp., (1938), 32p. (incl. wr.), num. (col.) ills., orig. wr., obl. 8vo.
- Pencil annots. on backwr.
= Dutch language edition issued for N.V. Algemeene Garage en Automobielmaatschappij (A.G.A.M.).
AND 2 Ford brochures: THE "PREFECT" FORD (Singapore, ±1938, (full-p.) (col.) ills., orig. wr., obl. 8vo. The full-p. ills. w. pencil annots. on price etc.; wrappers foxed) and FORD 2,2 LITER (Dutch language brochure, folded 3 times, Neuilly, ±1938, col. ills. by R. GÉRI, sm. 4to. Stamp of "N.V. Haarlemsche Auto Centrale (...)" on frontcover).
= The first brochure advertises exclusively DKW cars, i.a. the DKW spezialklasse Cabriolet, DKW tweezits Luxe-Cabriolet and DKW vierzits Luxe-Cabriolet. The second brochure advertises various models of Wanderer, Audi and Horch cars, i.a. the Wanderer W24 Cabriolet, the Adio Sport-Cabriolet and the Horch 5 Liter Conduite Interieure Separée de Luxe.
- Wrappers dogeared and sl. worn/ creased; backstrip worn.
= Horch, established at the beginning of the 20th century, merged with the marques DKW, Wanderer and Audi to form Auto Union, the ancestor of the present-day Audi. This brochure shows 5 models: Innenlenker, Sport-Cabriolet, Viertüriges Cabriolet, Pullman-Limousine and Pullman-Cabriolet.