1723 - 2056 FOREIGN HISTORY AND TOPOGRAPHY, TRAVELS
- Rebacked with use of original backstrip.
The Letters of F.W. Ludwig Leichhardt. Ed. M. Aurousseau. Cambridge, Hakluyt Society, 1968, 3 vols., XVI,1176p., frontisp., 1 fold. map, orig. unif. cl. w. dustwr.
- All vols. dustwr. price-clipped; dustwr. of vol. 3 sl. rubbed.
AND 5 others, i.a. J. HUXLEY (ed.), T.H. Huxley's Diary of the Voyage of H.M.S. Rattlesnake (London, 1935, 1st ed., fold. map, (col.) plates, orig. cl.) and B. D'ENTRECASTEAUX, Voyage to Australia & the Pacific 1791-1793. Ed. and Engl. transl. by E. and M. Duyker (Victoria, 2001, plates, orig. boards w. dustwr. Fine).
- Mounts of col. aquatint plates sl. foxed, but not affecting plates; blank margins of panorama of Rejkjavik sl. foxed. Gilt on spine partly worn off; spine worn and restored w. use of orig. backstrip; covers rubbed along extremities.
= The first edition, w. beautiful col. aquatint plates evoking the volcanous landscape of Iceland. Abbey, Travel 160; Tooley, English books w. col. plates 313; Chavanne, Polarlit. 2197; Graesse IV, 328; Lipperh. Haa 13. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE LXXXI.
- Very fine copy. = Mainly concerning India.
- (Sl.) foxed. Wr. sl. frayed.
= "Souvenir de l'au[teur]" in pen and ink on frontwr. (sm. portion torn off). Rare.
- Spine-ends trifle worn, otherwise a fine copy.
- Lower hinge weak; owner's entry on first free endpaper. Upper joint splitting at top; lower joint sl. weak; sl. worn along extremities. = Vicaire VI, p.1225.
- Lacks 1 plate; first 3 lvs. restored w. tape; plates sl. foxed.
- Most plates severely browned. Corners sl. worn; upper joint carefully restored.
= The first edition. Tiele 70; Landwehr, VOC 556; Rouffaer/ Muller p.341; Cat. NHSM p.240; Cox I, 283; Howgego B10. Very important for contemporary information on Dutch settlements in Southern India, especially Ceylon. "Baldeaus arrived in Ceylon in 1656 from Batavia with four other pastors and remained on the island until 1665. He immediately assigned himself and one other pastor to Jaffna, the Tamil region in the north of the Island (...). The pastors set about taking over the churches and schools left by the various Catholic missions and converting their flocks to the 'true Reformed faith'. Baldaeus and his pastors concentrated on the younger members of the community (...). Baldaeus soon acquired a knowledge of Tamil and translated the Ten Commandments, the Lord's Prayer, and the Articles of Faith. (...). Catholicism remained well-rooted in Ceylon, and after the departure of Baldaeus the Reformed Church there fell into decline. (...). He also provides a detailed description of the Hindu religion, although borrowing much from the earlier work of the missionary Abraham Roger." (Howgego). SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE LXXXII.
- Lacks a portrait; plates foxed. Corners sl. showing.
= Holloway 18.
= Reprint of The Historie of Irelande from the first inhabitation thereof, unto the yeare 1509. Collected by Raphaell Holinshed, & continued till the yeare 1547 by Richard Stanyhurst (1577), "with the cancels restored and the woodcut illustrations of the first edition".
- Lacks the portrait. Rebacked w. use of orig. backstrip; corners sl. chafed. = Holloway 18.
- Lacks 1 plate w. 2 views; sl. foxed; a few lvs. loose(ning). Sl. worn along extremities.
= Cf. Holloway 163; cf. Andres 454.
- Very fine.
= With AUTOGRAPH DEDICATION SIGNED "Italo Balbo" on second blank, addressed to "Emmy Longberg", travel companion to Knud Rasmussen. Italo Balbo (1896-1940), Italian aviator and blackshirt leader.
- First vol. w. sm. ticket on title; 3rd vol. upper hinge and bookblock broken; a few lvs. waterstained in outer blank margin; occas. sl. foxed; a few contemp. annots. in blank margin. Bindings worn along extremities; all vols. w. sm. ticket at top of spine.
= Rossetti 5591; Kissner Coll. 188. Rare, not in Cicognara.
- Remarkably clean copy with the following minor defects: both vols. modern owner's entry on first free endpaper; vol. 1 w. 2 sm. wormholes in blank margins; vol. 2 partly waterstained in lower blank margin (unobtrusive). Binding worn and scratched; corners showing.
= Not in Landwehr, Romeyn de Hooghe as book illustrator. Rare.
- A few lvs. sl. frayed.
- All vols. sl. soiled; first two vols. w. marginal waterstains; 1st, 5th and 6th vol. w. contemp. owner's (dedication) entry on final leaf. All covers soiled.
Wey, F. Rome. Introd. W.W. Story. London, Chapman and Hall, 1872, XXIII,552p., 1 lithogr. col. map, 72 woodengr. plates (incl. 1 plan), num. ills., modern cl. w. use of orig. frontcover and backstrip, t.e.g., folio.
- Map in very poor condition: moulded, lacks portions and w. tears; a few plates sl. browned; a few lvs. repaired w. sellotape; trifle foxed; final 10 lvs. mouldy.
Rogers, S. Italy, a poem. London, T. Cadell, 1836, VII,296p., num. steelengr. ills. after J.M.W. TURNER, T. STOTHARD a.o., contemp. gilt hmor., a.e.g.
- Trifle foxed.