441 - 665 CHILDREN'S BOOKS (including COMICS, DRAWINGS, GAMES AND TOYS)
- A fine copy.
Le petit chaperon rouge. Ibid., idem, n.d. (±1920), (6)textp. and 6 stencil col. plates. by MATEJA, orig. pict. wr., 4to.
- Owner's entry in pen on pastedown; sl. browned.
AND 2 others, both publ. by Imagerie d'Epinal, i.a. Aventures de Petit-Lièvre et Petit-Canard.
- Several textpages frayed/ torn/ dam.; foxed/ fingersoiled; contents loosening. Ticket on frontcover; binding worn along extremities.
= Second edition of Wat is er op de kermis te zien with new illustrations based on those in the first edition. Lust en Leering p.215 (mentioning the first edition) and 441; not in cat. The Children's World of Learning. The illustrations showing the major fair attractions, i.a. savages, a tightrope dancer, wild animals in a cage, a giantess and a dwarf, wax figures and a merry go round. Rare.
AND 2 others, both incomplete.
- Boards partly faded/ w. a few rubbed spots.
- Wrappers w. a few foxed spots. Nevertheless a fine copy.
- Renewed endpapers; 1 leaf with small tear. Otherwise a fine copy.
= Not in Bassy, Les Fables de La Fontaine - Quatre siècles d'illustration.
AND 5 others, i.a. B. RABIER, Maître Renard (Paris, 1934, col. ills., orig. wr., obl. 8vo) and J. DE LA FONTAINE, Fables choisies (Liège, (±1930), (col.) ills., orig. clothbacked boards, 4to).
- Owner's entry on title. Covers and spine sl. rubbed along extremities.
= Bilderwelt im Kinderbuch 545.
- New endpapers; owner's entry on title-p. Corners sl. rubbed; boards some traces of wear and sl. soiled.
= One of 100 numb. and signed ("Field & Tuer") copies with the plates in two states (brown and red).
AND 4 others, i.a. K. GREENAWAY, Language of Flowers (London/ New York, F. Warne, n.d. (±1890), col. ills. and orig. clothbacked pict. boards. Fine).
- Frontwr. sl. stained; bookplate on backwr. = Rare.
AND 3 others, i.a. M. GILMOUR, The Seven Little Spillikins (London etc., 1926, (col.) ills. and orig. boards by L.A. GOVEY).
- Lower blank margin title-p. restored. Spine strengthened.
= According to the preface, this is the second part of the series Letter geschenken. Extremely rare work. Not in the usual reference works, no copy in the NCC. Moralising children's book, consisting of two sections: the first half contains the plates, which show specific types, means of transport, professions, senses, seasons, animals, virtues etc. Each illustration has an accompanying poem that either extolls the virtues of the depicted person/ object or its moral abjectness. The second half consists of verses, stories and dialogues without plates. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE XVII.
WITH a contemp. drawing (pen and ink and watercolour) of a peasant after one the illustrations in the book (opposite p.31).
= The third part of the series Letter geschenken. Extremely rare. Not in the usual reference works, no copy in the NCC. Moralising children's book, consisting of two sections: the first half contains the plates, which show i.a. various products, days of the week, coins and sayings; each illustration has an accompanying poem. The second half consists of verses, short stories and riddles without plates.
AND an incomplete copy of S.J. VAN DEN BERGH, J.J.L. TEN KATE and J. VAN LENNEP, Het lijstertje (Amst., n.d. (±1860), orig. gilt and blindst. cl., 16mo. Lacks one plate and one textleaf).
- Most lvs. waterstained in upper margin and a few lvs. entirely waterstained; soiled; occas. foxed; a few lvs. loose; owner's entry on pastedown; writing in pencil on lower pastedown.
= The first edition. Huiskamp L229. Lust en Leering p.24 and p.394-395: "Het eerste Nederlandstalige jeugdboek met luikjesprent. Als men het deurtje op één van de prenten opent blijkt er een aap achter te zitten." Also with proto-Struwwelpeter/ naughty children stories i.a. about a boy who thinks he can cook and burns himself terribly and about a boy who draws on walls.
Mina van Kraaijenhorst, of het nut der tegenspoeden. Een zedelijk tafereel voor de beschaafde Nederlandsche jeugd. Amst., J. Radink, n.d. (1835), 2nd ed., 86p., engr. title-p., 8 handcol. (stipple-)engr. plates, contemp. boards, sm. 8vo.
- Bookblock loose; owner's entry on first free endpaper; trifle foxed. Boards rubbed.
= Huiskamp M222; Van Veen Sale II, 173 (with other titles); Van Rijn 753; Coll. Caljé-Van Gulik 160; De Koning 360; The Children's World of Learning 962 (1st ed. of 1826).
- Hinges weak. Spine-ends sl. worn.
Hoffman, D. and Junker, A. Laterna Magica. Lichtbilder aus Menschenwelt und Götterwelt. Berlin, Frölich & Kaufmann, 1982, 123,(10)p., col. plates, orig. cl. w. dustwr., 4to. Dewitz, B. von and Nekes, W. Ich sehe was, was du nicht siehst! Sehmaschinen und Bilderwelten. Die Sammlung Werner Nekes. N.pl., B. von Dewitz and W. Nekes, 2002, 455,(1)p., num. (col.) ills., orig. boards, 4to. - AND 4 others, i.a. G.A. HOUSEHOLD (ed.), To catch a sunbeam. Victorian reality through a magic lantern (London, 1979, (col.) ills., orig. cl. w. dustwr.) and J. REMISE a.o., Magie Lumineuse. Du théâtre d'ombres à la lanterne magique (n.pl., 1979, (col.) ills., orig. cl. w. dustwr., folio).
- Mostly good to fine. = Showing i.a. children playing, humorous scenes and views.
= I.a. the story of Snow White, children playing outside, various ships at sea (i.a. a steamship with sails), animals and grotesque figures.
= Scenes from Bluebeard and the Sleeping Beauty.
- One slide broken in half (repaired w. scotch tape).
= I.a. a snail with a saddle, a steam locomotive, grotesque figures, animals, ships at sea and soldiers.
= Various scenes i.a. hunting, dwarves, acrobats.
- Probably lacking a 12th slide. Some black paint and occas. col. paint chipped. Box lacks sliding lid.
= Very nice and skillfully painted mostly exotic wild animals and birds, such as a panther, lion, baboon, elephant, camel, condor, flamingo, ibis, crane, secretary bird, penguin, boa constrictor, hippopotamus, whale and crocodile.
- Various sm. defects, occas. paint flaked off. In good working order.
ADDED: 5 defective glass slides or wooden frame only.
- Bookplate on upper pastedown; owner's entry on htitle.
= The first edition. BNK 571; Caljé-van Gulik 439; Van Rijn 327; De hele Bibelebontse Berg p.199.