5052 - 5316 FINE ARTS - 16th-19th CENTURY DRAWINGS, WATERCOLOURS and PAINTINGS
= A typical Swedish scene. A common Swedish folklore belief is that every house has its own Nisse (a kind of kobold). The Nisse acted as a guardian of the household when treated well, i.a. with food or drink left behind. Odelmark is mostly known for his orientalist paintings.
- Sl. foxed/ yellowed.
= The artist not traced. With sl. later addition in pencil to the title on verso "met de toren van Zoeterwoude in de verte". SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE CXVII.
= Provenance: sale Sotheby's Amst., 4 nov. 2003 (lot 48).
- Lacks small piece of lower left corner (restored); other corners partly strengthened/ restored. Numbered "20" in later hand in top right corner and with "da Car[pi?] del." in later hand in lower right corner.
= Provenance: collection Sr. Josuah Reynolds (Reynolds' collector's mark on verso (Lugt 2364)). SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE CXVIII.
- Sl. yellowed.
Tiggelaar, W. (19th cent.). (People standing on a ferry with a moored boat). (Sailing vessel). Two drawings, black ink and grey wash, both ±15x20 cm., the first signed in pen and brown ink, both tipped onto contemp. paper mount along left margin.
- The first drawing w. vague (former) oblique fold.
- A few scratches w. sl. loss of paint.
- Upper corner dam.; three (small) holes in outer margins.
AND ±20 other (small) drawings, i.a. by W. VAN KONIJNENBURG (Portrait of a man with his eyes closed) (atelier stamp), D. HARTING (Half-length portrait of a seated man), J. VAN ESSEN and G. HOFLAND.
- Dam. spot in lower margin; sl. waterstained in upper right corner; tipped onto mount along upper margin.
- Sm. hole; soiled.
- A few (unobtrusive) creases.
= With a watermark showing a greek vase with a plant. With attribution to J.-A. Portail and "Aukt. Hauswedell, 24 juni 1968, no.159" in pencil on the mount. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE CXVIII.
- Tipped onto mount along left margin; four tiny pinholes in corners; nibbled by silverfish in left blank margin; tiny hole in upper right of sky area.
- Two thin spots in sky area; sl. foxed/ creased. Upper corners tipped onto mount.
= Nice preparatory sketch. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE CXVIII.
- Pinholes in corners.
- Yellowed/ spotted; lower left blank corner sl. dam.
- Oxydation; upper margin laid down on mount.
= Verso w. "J. Rottenhamer" in pencil. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE CXIX.