5052 - 5316 FINE ARTS - 16th-19th CENTURY DRAWINGS, WATERCOLOURS and PAINTINGS
- Drawing on blue paper: blue colour on recto evenly faded (drawing not affected).
= SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE CXIV.
- Sl. browned/ foxed; lower left corner lacks tiny portion.
- Yellowed; mounted on board.
= Nice drawing, possibly a preparatory drawing for a painting, w. sm. annotations for colours.
- A few foxed specks; sm. tear in lower left corner; partly sl. creased in upper margin where the sheet is glued to paper mount.
- Tipped onto contemp. blue paper; trifle spotted.
- Yellowed from former framing; a few rubbed spots.
= Elisabeth Johanna Koning was born in Haarlem and was a pupil of Henriette Ronner-Knip.
- Sl. foxed.
- Sl. creased and foxed.
= Attractive watercolour.
- Small hole below the portrayed's eye; sl. yellowed; blank margins foxed.
= "(...) De tekening stamt uit 1880-1882 en is hoogstwaarschijnlijk naar een foto vervaardigd en vermoedelijk een van de tantes van Jacobus van Looy" (accomp. manuscript note, formerly attached to verso frame).
- Some lvs. loose and frayed in outer margin.
= Pieter van Looy, able draughtsman and art teacher in Haarlem. Nice portraits of common people, some at work.
AND 13 others: a calligraphed card w. a prayer within geometrical border (pen and black and purple ink, signed "P. van looy calligr. 1923" in lower right corner) and 12 letters by Van Looy to Mr. D.F. Pont (Amst.; 1x Hilversum) concerning the uncovering and drawing ("afteekenen") of gravestones of members of the Pont family buried in the Grote Kerk of Edam (all signed and dated etc., 21 July 1924 - 18 June 1925).
- Tipped onto mount.
AND a watercolour attributed to P. BLANCHARD (1805-1873), (A gardener resting on his spade while looking at a mansion with closed windows) (23,1x14,5 cm.).
= SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE CXV.
- On wove paper w. watermark ("Cool C" or Kool C"?); the second drawing waterstained in upper blank margin; the first only sl. in upper blank corner.
= Very skillful.
Anonymous (19th cent.). "Datura Arborea". Large drawing, pencil and watercolour, 47x35 cm.
- On wove paper; sl. yellowed; trifle foxed/ spotted; strip of paper on verso along upper margin, w. sm. tear in corner.
= Impressive drawing.
- Sl. yellowed.
= WITH handwritten certificate of authenticy by M. de Jongh-Luyt, the artist's daughter.
AND a lithograph by the same.
- First gouache whitish stains in lower margin.