2619 - 2839 NATURAL HISTORY, MEDICINE, SCIENCE, TRANSPORT, TECHNOLOGY
- Occas. foxing.
= Contains i.a. the following sections: Labourage (5 plates); Moulins à vent et à eau (10 plates); Fabrique du Tabac (6 plates); Coton (5 plates) and Culture de la vigne/ Pressoirs (5 plates).
- Backstrip worn off.
= French transl. of Francis Home: The principles of Agriculture and vegetation (Edinb., 1757).
- First part a few lvs. loosening; upper hinge weak; lower hinge broken; a few plates yellowed and some w. one fold browned; lower pastedown loosening; a few foxed spots. Paper over boards loosening; letterpiece sl. dam.
= Bibl. Walleriana 2891; Hirsch-H. II, p.323f; DSB IV, p.507ff: "Fabrici's works were collected into Opera omnia anatomica et physiologica (Leipzig 1687); a later ed. (Leiden, 1738 [sic]) is more complete".
- Textlvs. waterst.; plates trifle browned in margins. = Hirsch IV, p.161f.
- Lithogr. title foxed; the fold. plates sl. cut short and w. some sm. marginal tears (images not affected); text lvs. occas. waterstained (plates not affected); some minor yellowing/ foxing.
= BMN I, p.86; not in Choulant, Frank, Waller. On the translator, cf. Hirsch II, p.476. Rare.
- Sl. foxed. Spine sunned.
= Not in Nissen ZBI; Bibliotheca Piscatoria p.93: "The work is cleaver and caustic, and contains a critique of several of the angling books of the day."
- Owner's entries on first free endpaper; sl. yellowed. Binding rubbed; two sm. dam. spots at foot of spine; backstrip sl. darkened.
= Houzeau Lancaster 9714 (listing this ed. in note); cf. Crone 172; Bierens de Haan 336; Cat. NHSM I, p.39. First published in Amst., 1634. Latin translation of the Dutch first ed., 1620. Rare.
- One quire loosening; sm. annot. on verso frontwr. and owner's entry on first free endpaper. Backwr. loosening; joints, spine and frontwr. (sl.) worn.
Hoefer, F. Histoire de l'astronomie depuis ses origines jusqu'a nos jours. Paris, Hachette et Cie, 1873, (4),631p., woodengr. ills., contemp. gilt hmor.
- Occas. trifle foxed; upper hinge weak.
- Partly waterstained in margins; a few leaves w. tear in margin (occas. into text); title-p. partly doubled and w. closed tear; a few leaves mounted on new stubs and w. sl. dam. blank inner margin; sm. libr. stamp (Bibliotheca Sancti Pauli Oosterholt) on title-p. and on verso final text leaf; bookplates on upper pastedown (F.C.G. Comte de Kuijpers seignr. de Rijmenam and le Vicomte Obert de Thieusies); owner's entries on first free endpaper (illegible and/ or crossed out), on title-p. (J.P. Allard (dated 1867)) and on final pastedown (François Joseph Duraij). Upper hinge splitting; vellum creased and with some small stains; lacks ties.
= Houzeau/ Lancaster I/2, 11432; Macclesfield Sale lot 498. Rare work on sundials. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE LXIX.
- Pastedowns detached; sm. contemp. annot. in pen and ink in one plate. Otherwise a fine copy.
= Bierens de Haan 1754. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE LXXI.
- Owner's entry on verso title-p.; partly waterstained. Paper over spine partly worn off.
= Bierens de Haan 2521; Houzeau & Lancaster 11656. Rare.
= Mainly brochures with technical data on models and advertorial publications. I.a. Airspeed (4x, 1947-1950), Auster (1x, 1947), Fairey (1x, Firefly, 1947), Avro (8x, i.a. Athena, 1947), Saab (10x, 1948), KLM (4x, i.a. Dienstregeling 1948), Percival (14x, Prentice and Prince, 1948), Handley Page (3x, 1948), Republic (6x, i.a. 3 nice press photographs, 1949), Bristol (5x, 1949), Hawker (3x, Fury and Hawk, 1949), Sabena (4x, 1950), Rijksluchtvaartschool (2x, 1951), Silver City (5x, 1952), and later publications by i.a. Aeroflot (10x, 1960s, nice design), Fokker, Piper, Sud Aviation, Augusta Bell, Piaggio, Cessna, Sikorski and the Dutch Department of Defence.
- Both vols. without divisional title to the first part as almost always (general volume titles present); sl./ trifle browned/ yellowed; a few lvs. and plates w. waterstain in outer margin, not affecting text or image.
= Nissen, ZBI 248; Landwehr, Dutch Books w. Col. Plates 10; Wellcome II, p.112. The plates drawn by J. Rhodius from life and engraved by C. VAN NOORDE. All the plates show marine plants and animals. "Wertvolle Beobachtungen aus dem mikroskopischen Bereich und zum Formenwandel der niederen Tiere". (Nissen, ZBI vol. II, p.135). A second edition, with the same plates, was published in 1817. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE LXXI.
- Partly trifle waterst. in upper margin. Top of spine sl. worn.
- Lacks at least 35 leaves; without binding. Sold w.a.f.
= Nissen, BBI 1708.
- Upper hinge weak; new endpapers; yellowed; occas. trifle foxed. Binding rubbed.
= From the library of A.P.M. de Kluijs with his bookplate on upper pastedown.
- Some plates dustsoiled along margins; a few plates frayed/ w. sm. marginal tears; occas. sl. foxed. Frontwr. vol. 2 loose. Both vols. lack ties.
= SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE LXXII.
- Occas. sl. waterstained in blank outer margin (first few leaves also in blank inner margin), otherwise a very clean copy; lower blank outer corner of engr. title sl. frayed; upper corner of first three leaves oblique fold; first few leaves trifle wormholed. Lacks most ties; binding sl. dustsoiled and a few old stains; sl. read out of shape; turn-ins partly loosening; corners rubbed.
= Second Dutch ed. of this major herbal. Nissen, BBI 518; Pritzel 2345; Krivatsy 3303; Bibl. Belg. D120; Simoni, Low Countries 1601-1621, D69. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE LXXII.
- Lacks 1 preliminary leaf; engr. title cut short and w. owner's stamp; most lvs. partly waterst.; occas. sl. mouldy; thumbed; a few corners torn; 8 lvs. at the end (partly) remargined. Joints split; covers scratched/ rubbed and worn along extremities.
= Second Dutch ed. of this major herbal. Nissen, BBI 518; Pritzel 2345; Hunger sale 209; Bibl. Belg. D120; Simoni, Low Countries 1601-1621, D69.